Building Profilactic

Profilactic is a social media aggregator/lifestreaming service that pulls together just about everything you and your friends create online. This blog chronicles the processing of building it.

Sunday, November 05, 2006

Word is spreading
It has been less than two weeks since we started talking about Profilactic publicly; however, the word is definitely getting out there.

In addition to the Folksonomy.org/Digg home page thing that got the whole ball rolling, we've been mentioned on:

CNET's News.com
Rafe Needleman did a piece on Profilactic and FindMeOn. Rafe didn't seem to like the name (he actually said "Yuck"). Of course, I have to laugh when a guy named Rafe Needleman wants to call someone out for their name (I kid! I kid, Rafe!). I had not heard of FindMeOn before. Very similar in idea; however, the implementations are miles apart. Check out FindMeOn.

TipMonkies.com
TipMonkies reported on the initial Folksonomy.org piece. Unlike News.com, they sort of liked the name ("somewhat humorously named").

Davis Freeberg's Digital Connection
Davis had some very nice things to say about the idea and said he wants it "now, now, now."

Emily Chang's eHub directory
Emily Chang added us to the 1,300 Web 2.0 companies listed in her eHub directory. We've received a ton of traffic and close to 100 beta sign-ups from that listing.

Claudio Capo at Soulcreation
Claudio compared us with a service called MetaThings which I was unfamiliar with. Check out www.metathings.com. Not really the same as what we're doing, but it is similar in some ways, I guess.

Chris Messina at FactoryCity

Chris basically dismisses us as a mashup of Suprglu and ClaimID (before then pimping his own service that he thought about building) in "Skip the Profilactic, Get the Real Thing". I appreciate the mention.

Profilactic.com and this blog have also been added to StumpleUpon, del.icio.us, Blue Dot, Ziki and other bookmarking services. We've actually gotten a lot of traffic and sign-ups from StumbleUpon.

We have also been contacted by a couple of video podcasts (that I'd actually heard of) to do a demo and be interviewed for their show.

Perhaps the best news of all is that some very (very) big-name bloggers have signed up for the beta. I usually take a peek at the beta sign-up numbers at the end of the day (we're over 450 now) and I have been blown away by some of the names that I see on the list.

So now that we've got everyone's attention, all we have to do is execute the idea flawlessly. :)
Comments:
Hey, I didn't have a choice with my name. So there.

Good luck with the product...
Rafe, I was just kidding around. We really appreciate the mention.

Thanks.
sm
I don't quite get the comparison to SuprGlu, which is for aggregating one's content - not one's profiles. I can sort of see the comparison to ClaimID, which is where I currently have several dozen profiles listed, but I'm really looking forward to seeing what Profilactic can do.
Hey smorty71, sorry about the diss... I guess what I'm hoping for is for you to come out supporting OpenID, hcard and XFN... and then I'll give you mucho props over all the rest! Fer real! Scout's honor!
Post a Comment

Recent Posts

Blog Archive

Contact Us

feedback at profilactic dot com