Building Profilactic

Profilactic is a social media aggregator/lifestreaming service that pulls together just about everything you and your friends create online. This blog chronicles the processing of building it.

Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Should Profilactic be in Facebook?
One of the big projects we planned for Profilactic after our v2 launch was a Facebook app. All the cool kids are making them. And if you were listening to those wacky web pundits like Robert Scoble, you would know that it was only a matter of time before FB absorbed the entire internet... and e-mail, too. So we didn't really have a choice, right? :)

Now, as we've been tinkering with the app and I've been reading more about how successful (or should I say "unsuccessful") the majority of Facebook apps are, I'm starting to have second thoughts.

Compound that with the fact that I don't really like Facebook or their platform and I'm torn about whether to move ahead.

So I'm going to pose the questions to the Profilactic faithful. Should Profilactic be in Facebook at all? And would you get any *real* value out of our app or would it just be something you add to your page and forget about (like all of the apps I've tried)?

The idea is to give users access to their mashup and their WTFMO list. Considering that we already give you badges for those elements that you can put on your own websites or blogs, is a FB version really needed?

We want to make sure that we are applying our limited resources to the right areas. I have a hunch that Facebook isn't one of those areas. Tell us what you think.
Comments:
I think a WTFMO app would have some value, but Profilactic Mashups in Facebook can already be done: import your FB notes from the mashup RSS. They might not show up in "real-time", but for me that's not a concern.

Then again, I like to live outside of FB and am perfectly comfortable mashing, xFruits-ing and FeedBurning my RSS to where its needed. Other folks might prefer a one-click solution.
In my opinion, it doesn't make sense to create a Facebook app since Profilactic is a kind of Facebook itself: a life stream with a social network. Of course, Facebook is more advanced in many aspects but I think the vision is shared, it's about aggregation of people digital life. You have your own approach, a very interesting one.
Being a fan of lifestreaming (and Profilactic), I would feature the Profilactic app prominently on my profile so that you would get more exposure (at least to MY friends...and to THEIR friends)

By the way, I ONLY have ONE Profilactic friend so how do you suggest that I "find" some friends on Profilactic?
I use Facebook because some of my friends and colleagues do but don't care for it all that much. I'm also just importing my Profilactic RSS feed into my Facebook page, so don't really need a dedicated app for that.
I have to agree with Thomas Ho. The only value a Facebook app would hold is in advertising for Profilactic and, really, would it accomplish that much? I say it's more trouble than it's worth.
I tried to import my mashup rss into the notes app on facebook, and was busted because it produce too many posts and FB, for some reason, puts a limit on this - read the blurb on the notes app page.

I now just link back to my mashup from my info box. In some respects I'd like to have a FB app as that would probably get more eyeballs from my friends. But on the other hand I actually like the way my mashup looks and is formatted here, so quite happy for people to come here and look
Post a Comment

Recent Posts

Blog Archive

Contact Us

feedback at profilactic dot com