Building Profilactic

Profilactic is a social media aggregator/lifestreaming service that pulls together just about everything you and your friends create online. This blog chronicles the processing of building it.

Monday, August 20, 2007

Is Profilactic the Dokken of social media?
My friend and former colleague, Bill Johnston of Forum One, responded to one of my Twitter posts yesterday and it got me thinking (I usually don't think on Sunday, so this is noteworthy).

He said, "BTW - I think we are in the Hair Metal era of online community, a.k.a social media, a.k.a. online collaboration"

So, I replied, "If that is true, then Profilactic wants to be Faster Pussycat... or maybe Dokken."

Why Dokken you might be asking (if you're asking "Who the hell is Dokken?," then I've got nothing for you)? Well, Don, Jeff, George and Mick (almost makes them sound like the Beatles when you say it that way) were a solid, hard-working hair metal band that were in their prime from 1983 until about 1987. They had catchy pop metal songs and always put on a pretty good show. They weren't as big as Bon Jovi, but they were bigger than Britny Fox.

I think that pretty much describes what we're hoping to do with Profilactic. We want to have a good run, build a solid product and put on a good show. We may wear some really bad outfits from time to time; but, 3 of us are engineers, so that should be expected. We don't want to be the next Facebook, but we do want to be bigger than Britny Fox (that's a coincidence, huh?).

So are we way off base here? Do you think we're more like L.A. Guns, perhaps? Maybe Cinderella? As long as you don't say "Nelson" or "White Lion," we're cool with that.
Comments:
Perhaps most users were small children during the heavy metal era, or they try to pretend it never happened, like I do. Either way, I think one thing that would help get us talking is if we could see each other. Right now, the only way I can figure out how to do that is by typing in random names. I have absolutely no idea if anyone I know is here (so far no luck) but introvert that I am, I still wouldn't be opposed to making the acquaintance of whoever else is using this service, and it'd be cool to be able to find them by tags or interests or something like that. I've emailed you my other ideas, so that's all for now, but keep doing what you're doing :)
Great suggestion. We are actually working on improvements to our people search as well as ways to surface other people listings throughout the site. We'll be adding some views of interesting members to the home page, too.
Post a Comment

Recent Posts

Blog Archive

Contact Us

feedback at profilactic dot com