Building Profilactic

Profilactic is a social media aggregator/lifestreaming service that pulls together just about everything you and your friends create online. This blog chronicles the processing of building it.

Monday, July 16, 2007

Profilactic is #2 Worst Web App Name!
The braintrust over at Read/Write Web has compiled a "fun" list of the Worst Web App Names. Profilactic comes in at #2. Damn it, always a bridesmaid!

Now we can only dream about what doors the title of Worst Web App Name could have opened.

BTW, I know the list said "in no particular order;" however we're gonna milk this for all it's worth.

If you wanna digg the story about our "honor," you can do that here.
Comments:
As a marketer, I do product and company naming for a living, and the name doesn't bother me. It's funny and irreverent. If it bothers people, it's their problem, right? :)

But given what the site does, I would've named it something relating more to feed mashups (the very obvious product offering that you do so well) rather than profile aggregation. For example, Naymz is a big ol' heaping plate of profile aggregator with a side order of feed mashup. Profilactic's value proposition seems the opposite to me, so were it me, I would've named it something along the lines of Lifemash, Feedstream, MyContent, iMash, etc. (obviously I'm not putting a ton of thought into those).

Just something to think about. It amazes me that people still get all worked up over stuff that sounds slightly "naughty". :)

How's the weather in Lulvul? Pretty hot, I'll bet! Cheers from Seattle.

Oh, please add me on Twitter (http://www.twitter.com/weave/) and I'll reciprocate.

- e
I love the name. Scaring off the 30+ crowd seems like a very good idea to me. The youth won't hang around a site with their parents on it.
Post a Comment

Recent Posts

Blog Archive

Contact Us

feedback at profilactic dot com