Building Profilactic

Profilactic is a social media aggregator/lifestreaming service that pulls together just about everything you and your friends create online. This blog chronicles the processing of building it.

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

The name
After getting my thoughts together for the basic site idea, I knew that I would need a snazzy name. I wanted something clever like del.icio.us that still conveyed what the site was all about. So I grabbed a notepad and went to GoDaddy.

I spent a lot of time stuck on the idea of playing off of "I.D." Most of the names that I came up with were terrible. Not only were the names terrible, but the domains were already taken. Next, I began playing around with the word "profile." I dropped the "e" and began adding letters to the end. For some reason, without the "e," my brain kept thinking "prolific." After staring at "profil" and "prolific" for a while, I came up with "profilactic."

I immediately loved the name. It was related to the overall idea, it was kind of clever and I knew people would remember it. Plus, since I was using a bastardized spelling, the domain name was available. So I forked over $7.95 and bought the domain.

Then, I did jacksh!t with the idea for about 4 months.
Comments:
You do realise that it sounds exactly like prophylactic - why would you want to associate something which logs your profiles with condoms?
Yes, I realize that it sounds like prophylactic. That was kind of the point.

I wanted something that played off of the word "profile" *and* would be memorable.

I think "profilactic" does that.
Post a Comment

Recent Posts

Blog Archive

Contact Us

feedback at profilactic dot com