Building Profilactic

Profilactic is a social media aggregator/lifestreaming service that pulls together just about everything you and your friends create online. This blog chronicles the processing of building it.

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

The inspiration for Profilactic
About a year ago or so, I got the idea for a site that would allow me to keep up with all of the various "Web 2.0" and "social networking" sites that I had joined. I had accounts with Flickr, del.icio.us, Blogger, YouTube, Vimeo, Digg, MySpace, Spout, la la, Instructables, LinkedIn, Yahoo!, GameSpot, TV.com, AVS Forum, 43 Things... you get the idea. Trying to keep up with all of the sites, profiles and the content I was producing was getting out of hand really quickly.

The original, basic idea was for a site that would allow you to list all of your online profiles and the links to the associated content (like your Flickr photos or your YouTube videos).

After sketching out a few rough pages and convincing myself that I had a pretty decent idea, I decided to see if anyone else had thought of it. I did a couple of Google searches and found sites that were doing things that were *almost* like what I was thinking (ClaimID and openID were in the same ballpark). Then, I ran through Emily Chang's list of Web 2.0 startups and came up empty as well.

At this point, I wasn't sure if I had a kickass idea that no one had thought of yet or just a lame idea that no one thought was worth building. Being pretty full of myself, I chose the former.
Comments:
Id profilactic something like http://NAYMZ.COM ?
Not really. To me, Naymz is more like ClaimID. Profilactic is not trying to manage or protect your online identity/reputation. It is trying to organize and aggregate all of your online identities (and the content you create online).
Have a look at Metathings.com . I see a big resemblance.
SuprGlu seems similar as well
There are some similarities to Suprglu; however, Profilactic is more than just an RSS aggregator.
Post a Comment

Recent Posts

Blog Archive

Contact Us

feedback at profilactic dot com